Recipe of the Month
Nutty toffee apples
- 6 Cox apples
- 6 small wooden ice lolly sticks
- 225g granulated sugar
- 110ml water
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 tbsp finely chopped mixed nuts
- Push the wooden sticks halfway into the apples at the stalk end.
- Dissolve the sugar and water in a thick-bottomed pan over a gentle heat.
- Add the butter and syrup to the mixture and bring to the boil. Continue to boil, without stirring, until the toffee reaches 140C/275F (use a sugar thermometer to measure this).
- Remove the pan from the heat and gently stir in the nuts.
- Carefully dip each apple into the toffee, making sure each apple is well coated, and set aside to harden on a baking try lined with non-stick parchment.
- You can also cover your toffee apples with desiccated coconut or chocolate sprinkles.