Recipe of the Month
Makes approx 15. Cooking time - 20 mins.
Courtesy of Jackie Christy
- 1 kilo self-raising flour
- 2 sweet apples - peeled, cored & diced
- 250g salted butter
- 250g grated cheddar cheese
- 150g sweet pickle
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 medium eggs
- 300ml milk
Pre-heat oven to 155C and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Mix flour and butter in a bowl until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the apple, cheese, pickle, salt & pepper and mix briefly to distribute the contents.
- Mix the eggs and milk until it resembles damp dough (add more flour if too wet or more milk if too dry).
- Roll out on a floured surface to approx 4cm deep. use a fluted cutter to cut out the scones and transfer to a baking tray.
- Place in pre-heated oven and cook for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with butter and some chutney.